Blog launched: November 10, 2009

Saturday, December 17, 2016

An amazing transformation

Pieris brassicae - larva
CCC1140 [Pieris brassicae - larva]

Walking on the rocks of the Acropolis, I nearly stepped on this “ugly”, some might say “repulsive” creature that was moving in front of me carefree and unaware of the danger she was exposed to. I would have bypassed her indifferently if I hadn’t noticed the yellow lines and black spots along her body that reminded me of the well-known and common butterfly called Pieris brasicae.
I took the picture out of habit, having no use of it in mind. Well … not until now!

Photographed on December 18, 2010


Pieris brassicae - adult
802_6977 [Pieris brassicae - adult]
A few weeks ago I was happy to have a “close encounter” in our garden with this butterfly. This airy, beautiful Pieris brassicae that once was “ugly” and “repulsive”.
What an amazing transformation!
What a miracle of life ... which, however, does not often get our full attention!

Photographed in Holargos on October 03, 2016

I came across a short well-written article on the Internet the other day describing a butterfly’s life cycle.
 If you' re interested, you can follow this link:

1 comment:

  1. Πανέμορφες οι φωτογραφίες και πολύ ενδιαφέρον το άρθρο. Τι κρίμα, όμως, που οι σε μερικούς ανθρώπους η "εξέλιξη" έχει αντίστροφη φορά...

    ReplyDelete