Blog launched: November 10, 2009

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Polytrichum alpinum

803_0927 [Polytrichum alpinum]

Photographed on Mt. Hymittos on January 12, 2018



IMG_1822 [Polytrichum alpinum]


In spite of the striking difference in color, both pictures probably show the same moss in two different stages of development. In the lower picture the moss is at the end of its life-cycle.

While I was shooting them, I had no idea what I was shooting. It was the first time I had seen them from close and found them interesting. Some search I conducted in relative sources afterwards led me to “Polytrichum alpinum” but I have some reservations and so I leave the final verdict to experts. The fact that they were shot at the low altitude of 300m (upper picture) and 230m (lower picture) seems to contradict the name “alpinum” which implies much higher altitudes. Experts, are you reading?!

Less than 10cm in height, in relatively small patches, on a rocky surface, about 500m one away from the other.

Photographed near Kaisariani on April 09, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment